Would you believe me if I told you I'll post once a month from here on out?
*slaps knee and laughs nervously*
Yeah ok, I don't believe me either.
So, as I sit here in my apartment maintaining my paleness while I stare at the intense sunlight out the window, let's dive into what songs (new! and maybe a little outdated! but they were new when I "started" this draft in April!!) I've been listening to:
"I'll Be Yours" by Girls Day
Jazzy, catchy, confident. GO GIRL GROUPS. What a long-awaited comeback, and they did not disappoint. "Don't Be Shy" is probably my second most-listened-to song off of the album.
"Clouds" by Before You Exist
Ok, so maybe I discovered this song through a K-pop artist, but I'm so glad I found it. The lyrics are so raw and beautiful, and when I found out it was dedicated to Christina Grimmie (a YouTuber and singer who passed away almost a year ago), I almost started bawling.
"Please just tell me you're alright / Are you way up in the sky / Laughing, smiling, looking down / Saying "'one day we'll meet in the clouds'"
"Wake Me Up" by B.A.P
I'm not sure if I can really get into their earlier music, but starting with "Skydive" I've become a huge fan of B.A.P. And now with leader Bang Yong-guk back from his break (he withdrew from the last round of album promotions due to anxiety and panic disorders), wow, that husky rapping is 💯. Peep this Billboard article for more insight as to why "Wake Me Up" disrupts the industry norm of skimming over mental health issues that many K-pop idols surely face at some point in their careers. After all, this is a group that went on hiatus for ~9 months to settle unfair working conditions and profit distribution with their management/label.
"Wine" by Suran ft. Changmo
Do I like this song because:
1) the title is a big part of my life
2) it's produced by BTS's Suga
3) it's chill and low-key, like having a glass of wine on a Thursday night?
All of the above. I have a feeling Suran's music (hello, Beenzino and Zico collabs) will become regulars on my Spotify playlists.
"Really Really" by Winner
I'm not sure if it makes sense, but I think that having an unexpectedly upbeat song as a title track has made me appreciate their usual more mellow/serious sound a little more. Anyways, here's a cool interview I wrote up about Winner on BuzzFeed. #selfpromo
Also, please give us more music soon; THANKS.
"Last Scene" by Psy ft. Lee Sung-kyung
I honestly never listen to Psy but I listened to all the songs on his new album and there are some serious bops. "Last Scene" takes it slow, but "Fact" (DO YOU KNOW BULGOGI???) and "We Are Young" are my favorite dance-y songs. And of course Lee Sung-kyung (who's also managed by YG) has an angelic voice...in addition to being a gorgeous model and a talented and very animated actress — she played the main character in my most recent K-drama obsession, "Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo," which I highly recommend if you just want to watch something cute/funny/lighthearted.
Other songs on rotation:
- "Ready or Not" by Monsta X — This edges out "Beautiful" for me, which is a shame because they've only performed shortened versions on the live performances circuit. But anyways, I prefer Clan pt 2.5 much more than the first two mini-albums of the series, which is saying a lot because I still listen to "Hero" (that rooftop dance performance just k i l l s me every time) the most out of all Monsta X songs. I wish they were coming to KCON NY this year (I thought there was a good chance they would!), but alas.
- "dlwlrma" by IU — So it's true that I can't really stand her acting, but she has an undeniably pretty voice and I really like this happy-go-lucky song. If you type out the "dlwlrma" in Korean, it'll give you the phrase for "right now" or "in the moment" (thanks, Joyce). Also, "life is cool cool cool" lolol — no objections there.
- "Most Girls" by Hailee Steinfeld — I'm not IN LOVE with the lyrics, but I love Hailee's voice. Sometimes when I'm feeling particularly unaccomplished, I'll remember the fact that Hailee was nominated for Best Supporting Actress at 14 and then feel worse about myself HA HA HA.
- "A Supplementary Story: You Never Walk Alone" by BTS — I'm never not listening to BTS, but this song has been getting a lot of love recently whenever I've been feeling stressed (which, if you know me at all, is a lot).
- "Dream in a Dream" by Ten — This is pretty much just an instrumental track with the same short English verse repeated a few times, but HELL YEAH is it dreamy-sounding or what. I've said this before, but I love the amount of cool songs (and unlikely collaborations) that SM Station churns out (and every week too!). 10/10 would've listened to this on repeat during my hardcore (lol, scoff) college studying days. I wish I could pick out exactly what instruments (traditional Asian string instruments, I assume) are being used.
Hopefully more cool stuff coming up in the near future! And maybe one day my blog posts won't 100% be about K-pop but like, I'm just trying to be real about about how I spend my time. Besides binge-watching Master of None season 2 and stuffing myself with way too many cupcakes (thanks, wonderful friends). But as always, check out all the fun product posts I write on BuzzFeed here (like cute things that'll make your day better or cheap things to treat yourself to)! WOOOOOOOOW ooh-ahh etc.
ALSO YAY HAPPY ASIAN PACIFIC AMERICAN HERITAGE MONTH!!!!